Mark: "Walk your bike or board on campus when you have to."

Mark suggests: "Walk your bike or board on campus when you have to."

Blog Staff One: That would be nice at times wouldn't it? Although I do not disagree with you, some people ride their bikes or skateboards for fun; yes, but others do it to make it across campus. I don't want to force people to always walk their bike or boards but to do it when it is too congested. There is nothing wrong with riding or boarding on campus as long as we do it safely. I think sometimes people forget to realize the safety of others while they are having a little too much fun riding on campus.



Blog Staff Two: OK. As much as I like my freedom, it's got to be expected that there are some areas on campus that are simply too congested to ride through. I mean, it's like Times Square out by Ekeley sidewalk during class change. Or in front of Engineering? Personally, I've been somewhat strategic about just riding around those areas. If I have to go through there, I think it's just not worth the weirdness of trying to ride through it. All it takes is one quick clip of the handlebars and... YARD SALE! Embarrassment is only the beginning of that problem.

Blog Staff Four: Exactly! Of course a lot of people are cycling to get where they are going faster, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense to stay on your bike or board when the pathways are crowded. It'll eat up a lot more of your time if you get into an accident because you should have dismounted. If you absolutely can't bear to dismount for the couple of minutes it will take you to get through a crowded area, then find a different route through campus!

Blog Staff Five: I agree, yet feel a smarter solution becomes riding in areas of minimal congestion. It shocks me to see people trying to sieve through a crowded sidewalk on their bicycle; A) it damages your bottom bracket by exerting so much weight on your pedals, and B) you clog up walking lanes. Finding alternative routes helps you navigate campus faster, prevents accidents, and most importantly creates better riding experiences. I ride my bike on campus, and rarely encounter a crowd. These routes are my secret, but I do suggest taking the path less traveled, you won't regret it.

Blog Staff Six: If people would be more willing to simply exercise judgment while riding through crowds on campus, this would not be such a problem. Although even with judgment, there will always be the rogue cyclist who thinks campus is just one big obstacle course of live targets. I think these people are more of a problem than the average cyclist with good balance and a watchful eye. I have found that if you're careful enough, there is rarely a time when you absolutely must dismount. It's the occasional idiot intentionally weaving through crowds at ridiculous speeds that gives all campus cyclists a bad name.

7 comments:

  1. Blog Staff Five... "damages your bottom bracket by exerting so much weight on your pedals"???? Sorry for being blunt, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Six: you are closer to the truth. However, I would add that people capable of riding at these 'ridiculous' speeds are probably much more skilled than you might realize. The dangerous people (the ones I've been hit by) are the clueless and inattentive kids who don't know basic bike path rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end of this semester will mark four years of skating on campus for me without a single collision. Not one. This entire blog seems overly safety conscious, to the point that you're discussing complex and overbearing rules. Telling people to stop texting and walking, or to get off their bike or board in certain areas is ludicrous. You can't protect everyone from everything al the time, and the sanctions you're suggesting create greater consequences than they would avoid. What unnecessary rules will be forced down my throat next?.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You staff members are kind of clueless...I doubt that you guys ever use any transportation other than your own two feet. Pedestrians are the actual problem; they're the ones that walk three abreast in the bike lane, don't obey crossing signals, et cetera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The problem I have found to be most prevalent as a bike commuter myself: People (that means pedestrians, bikers, long-boarders, etc.) who have no idea of what's going on around them while they mince around campus. Awareness, no matter the crowd or speed, will prevent almost all accidents. Biking with headphones is illegal and should be enforced. Ipod zombies on bikes are dangerous things.
    For biking around campus - the direct route is NEVER faster on a bike at class change time. I stick to the roads and designated bike paths when I bike campus. Dealing with the crowds is terrible, its easier (and safer) to weave cars and buses than pedestrians.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @first anonymous:

    Sure, those guys weaving in and out of pedestrians may have mad skills, but that doesn't mean they're not doing something dangerous or causing undue stress to the pedestrians they're using as a living obstacle course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my undergraduate university had it right...they had parking lots for bikes just like for vehicles. Very near campus but not within. So even if you drove or biked, you had somewhere to park and then you walked to your destination on campus. It was foot traffic only. So perhaps CU will be moved to do something like this in the future. As a staff person here, I have the luxury to not venture out onto campus during class changes, so can avoid the danger of bikes/skateboards/walkers all trying to use the same space at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like for all bicyclists and skateboarders to compy with "pedestrians" and "motor vehicles" right of way. Almost every cyclist does not follow the Colorado statute which our campus community by law must comply with.

    Section 2. 42-4-802 Pedestrians' right-of-way in crosswalks.
    Pedestrians' right-of-way in crosswalks.
    (3) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and ride a bicycle, walk, or run into the path of a moving vehicle which is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard.

    Cyclist and skateboarders by and large with the exception of a few, and I mean a few do not use common sense. I have been hit by both skateboarder and cyclist on the campus, I have had to jump out of thier way. On campus walkways that "do not" have a stated posted cycle path get off your bike!!!

    ReplyDelete