Casey: "Stop, and learn how to stop."

Casey suggests: "Cyclists need to stop at stop signs and skateboarders/longboarders need to learn how to stop and slow down around campus."

Blog Staff One: It's great you brought this up.You are absolutely right about boarders on campus not being able to stop. As boarders, they have taken on the responsibility of having fun but at the same time they should realize their inability to stop can seriously injure others around them. We all have to face these problems whether we are safe riders or not. There are some riders out there that give safe riders a bad reputation. As much as they may seem unfair, those citations the police are handing out are certainly reminders that we all need to stop at times.

Blog Staff Two: Alright. I like this. It's true; as much as I'd like to think of myself as a dang good cyclist, I wonder sometimes if it really came down to a bad situation, could I stop? On one end, if I rely too heavily on my brake (yep, I've got just one up front), I'll end-o. On the other end, if I don't, then I'm playing a very sketchy game of chicken with much larger vehicles. Myself, as well as others, I expect, could use some practice in anticipating situations and beginning the stop or at least negotiation somewhat earlier.


Blog Staff Three: There needs to be more order on the sidewalks. I don't necessarily demand every bicycler or skater to totally entirely stop per se at stop signs, but I don't think people should just be cruisin' thru them without slowing down and knowing what's going on at the intersection. I feel like the real message is Be Aware, Pay Attention. People have been killed and seriously injured from bicycle and skateboard accidents and it makes campus a dangerous place to travel if people aren't paying attention.


Blog Staff Four: Yes, everyone needs to learn when they legally need to stop, but more importantly is to SLOW DOWN! The faster you are going the longer it will take to stop and the easier it will be to get into an accident when someone steps out in front of you.


Blog Staff Five: "The stop signs with white trim are optional." I often tell myself this when rolling through those silly red octagons, but should I be so quick to rationalize my defiance? I think this one comes down to a situational approach. Both riders and skaters need to stop in high traffic areas, especially on campus. Always assume the other person isn't paying attention. However if you find yourself coasting through an open neighborhood and you don't fully plant a stop, I don't think it should be a punishable offense. We ride for a reason, not because we want special privilege, but because a bike and skateboard functions differently than an automobile–police and lawmakers need to recognize the situation.

Blog Staff Six: Although I agree that us cyclists need to learn how to stop (mainly for our own good), I disagree completely with the concept of citations. Monetary punishments anger not educate students. Instead of making them resentful towards campus police, use the opportunity to educate campus commuters. Or better yet, put them to work educating others (teaching is a great way to learn) on the little-known fact that cyclists and other commuters are actually required by law to follow traffic laws...because many people on bikes-not necessarily just the hardcore, spandex-wearing cyclist, but also the average student on the way to class-think that they are exempt from traffic laws if not driving a motorized vehicle. Stop fining, start educating.

No comments:

Post a Comment